Nomad nut files

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Nomad nut files

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:40 am

Hi, I had been looking at these Nomad diamond files for a while, and after reading the recent thread on nut files they appeared to be a good buy. But after just buying the Stewmac nut files, mentioned in that earlier post, and seeing the cost of the Nomad files I put off the idea.

That was until I saw that my regular Australian supplier had a recommended retail of $39.00 each, and they were cheaper again with my discount. The ones I had been looking at from another Australian supplier had a recommended retail of $53.00.

But the important thing is they do work well, as already described, I had only ordered two to test them but have now ordered the rest of the set.

I understand the mark of a good luthier is measured by the number of fret files they have... well maybe not. :lol:
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nomad nut files

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:12 am

I'm trying to locate some nut files with a rounded profile on the cutting edge of the file. I've got 4 Stewmac files that are like this but they no longer sell them.

Was looking at some files made in Hiroshima japan last night....priced at $70 Ca on a a Canadian suppliers site.....$Aus220 on an Australian site. How can this sort of mark up be justified???

http://www.japarts.ca/Uo-Chikyu/Uo-Chik ... -Files.asp

https://www.angkormusic.com.au/hiroshim ... r-50~32374
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:18 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:12 am
How can this sort of mark up be justified???
Japarts seem to be selling sets of 3 files. Angkor are selling a set of 8 (and they're sold out!)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:18 pm
kiwigeo wrote:
How can this sort of mark up be justified???
Japarts seem to be selling sets of 3 files. Angkor are selling a set of 8 (and they're sold out!)
The Japart sets have 6 files in each set.....files are listed in two columns.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:47 pm

I bought a set of those nut files off eBay for about $100, 6 files in the set I've used them quite a bit and they're still good, they do tend to bind up a bit if you go too deep. It was a few years ago and seemed expensive at the time, now it looks like I got a bargain. Wayne

JZG
Gidgee

Post by JZG » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:50 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Was looking at some files made in Hiroshima japan last night....priced at $70 Ca on a a Canadian suppliers site.....$Aus220 on an Australian site.
I bought a couple of different sets from: https://www.plazajapan.com/search-results/?q=nut+files

I'm not experienced or knowledgeable enough to comment on their quality etc., but the price from there seemed reasonable to me. (The store sells mainly modelling supplies — my partner raises an eyebrow at some of the anime-style figures that arrive in the marketing emails from this store. The files are the only luthiery thing they sell.)

Anyway, may be worth a look if that's what you're after.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:10 pm

56nortondomy wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:47 pm
I bought a set of those nut files off eBay for about $100, 6 files in the set I've used them quite a bit and they're still good, they do tend to bind up a bit if you go too deep. It was a few years ago and seemed expensive at the time, now it looks like I got a bargain. Wayne
I run my nut files through a candle to give them a bit of lubrication..nothing worse than watching the end of your nut snap off as you file the top or bottom E slot.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:29 pm

Thanks Martin I'll do that, don't know why I didn't think of it, I do it to my fret saw when cutting slots and small screws so they hopefully won't break. Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:46 pm

56nortondomy wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:29 pm
Thanks Martin I'll do that, don't know why I didn't think of it, I do it to my fret saw when cutting slots and small screws so they hopefully won't break. Wayne
I wax up the side of the file rather than the cutting edge. The dangerous slots are the two outer slots.....especially the low E where youre working close to the nut end with a thick file. Sometimes I make the nut with extra overhang to reduce risk of breakout and trim the nut ends once slots are cut.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:33 pm

Thanks again Martin. I have taken chips out of nuts before when filling the slots so I’ll definitely wax up for the next one.
Wayne